Saturday, February 11, 2012

Albert Camus


The Stranger - Albert Camus

“Then he asked me if I wasn’t interested in a change of life. I said that people never change their lives, that in any case one life was as good as another and that I wasn’t dissatisfied with mine here at all.” (Pg 41)

“At one time or another all normal people have wished their loved ones were dead.” (Pg 65)

“It’s just that I don’t have much to say. So I keep quiet.” (Pg 66)

“And the more I thought about it, the more I dug out of my memory things I had overlooked or forgotten. I realized then that a man who had lived only one day could easily live for a hundred years in prison. He would have enough memories to keep him from being bored.” (Pg 79)

“The way I see it, it’s bad luck. Everybody knows what bad luck is. It leaves you defenseless. And there it is!” (Pg 92)

“But I couldn’t quite understand how an ordinary man’s good qualities could become crushing accusations against a guilty man.” (Pg 100)

“My mind was always on what was coming next, today or tomorrow.” (Pg 100)

“I would listen to my heart-beat. I couldn’t imagine that this sound which had been with me for so long could ever stop.” (Pg 112)

“If something is going to happen to me, I want to be there.” (Pg 113)

“Deep down I knew perfectly well that it doesn’t much matter whether you die at thirty or at seventy, since in either case other men and women will naturally go on living – and for thousands of years. In fact, nothing could be clearer. Whether it was now or twenty years from now, I would still be the one dying.” (Pg 114)

“I may not have been sure about what really did interest me, but I was absolutely sure about what didn’t.” (Pg 116)

"His gaze never faltered. And his voice didn’t falther, either, when he said, “Have you no hope at all? And do you really live with the thought that when you die, you die, and nothing remains?” “Yes,” I said.” (Pg 117)

No comments:

Post a Comment