Saturday, February 11, 2012

J.D. Salinger

Franny and Zooey - J.D. Salinger


“I am constitutionally against strong, silent men.” (Pg 5)

“I’m sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.” (Pg 20)

“I’m sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.” (Pg 30)

“Enlightenment’s supposed to come with the prayer, not before it.” (Pg 113)

“I mean treasure is treasure, for heaven’s sake. What’s the difference whether the treasure is money, or property, or even culture, or even just plain knowledge? It all seemed like exactly the same thing to me, if you take off the wrapping – and it still does!” (Pg 146)

“As a matter of simple logic, there’s no difference at all, that I can see, between the man who’s greedy for material treasure – or even intellectual treasure – and the man who’s greedy for spiritual treasure.” (Pg 148)

“There are nice things in the world – and I mean nice things. We’re all such morons to get so sidetracked.” (Pg 152)

"He had a theory, that the religious life, and all the agony that goes with it, is just something God sicks on people who have the gall to accuse Him of having created an ugly world.” (Pg 154)

No comments:

Post a Comment