Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ernest Hemingway


The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

“I mistrust all frank and simple people, especially when their stories hold together.” (Pg 4)

“Nobody ever lives their life all the way up except bullfighters.” (Pg 10)

“You can’t get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” (Pg 11)

“It’s funny. It’s very funny. And it’s a lot of fun, too, to be in love.” (Pg 27)

“It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing.” (Pg 34)

“I never joke people. Joke people and you make enemies. That’s what I always say.” (Pg 59)

“This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don’t want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste.” (Pg 60)

“We should not question. Our stay on earth is not for long. Let us rejoice and believe and give thanks.” (Pg 121)

“Under the wine I lost the disgusted feeling and was happy.” (Pg 146)

“Enjoying living was learning to get your money’s worth and knowing when you had it.” (Pg 148)

“I’ve got to do something. I’ve got to do something I really want to do. I’ve lost my self-respect.” (Pg 183)

“A bottle of wine was good company.” (Pg 233)

No comments:

Post a Comment