Saturday, February 11, 2012

William Faulkner


As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner

“Sometimes I lose faith in human nature for a time; I am assailed by doubt.” (Pg 24)

“The Lord put roads for travelling: Why he laid them down flat on the earth. When he aims for something to be always a-moving, He makes it long ways, like a road or a horse or a wagon, but when He aims for something to stay put, He makes it up-and-down ways, like a tree or a man.” (Pg 35-36)

“I am not religious, I reckon. But peace is in my heart: I know it is.” (Pg 38)

“She says the reason the Lord had to create women is because man don’t know his own good when he sees it.” (Pg 71)

“The safe things are just the things that folks have been doing so long they have worn the edges off and there’s nothing to the doing of them that leaves a man to say, ‘That was not done before and it cannot be done again.’” (Pg 132)

“Sin and love and fear are just sounds that people who never sinned nor loved nor feared have for what they never had and cannot have until they forget the words.” (Pg 174-175)

“People to whom sin is just a matter of words, to them salvation is just words too.” (Pg 176)

No comments:

Post a Comment