Saturday, February 11, 2012

H.G. Wells


The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells

“The intellectual side of man already admits that life is an incessant struggle for existence.” (Pg 2)

“Perhaps I am a man of exceptional moods. I do not know how far my experience is common. At times I suffer from the strangest sense of detachment from myself and the world about me; I seem to watch it all from the outside, from somewhere inconceivably remote, out of time, out of space, out of the stress and tragedy of it all.” (Pg 22)

“It’s no kindness to the right sort of wife to make her a widow.” (Pg 42)

“What good is religion if it collapses under calamity?” (Pg 54)

“Without the body the brain would, of course, become a mere selfish intelligence, without any of the emotional substratum of the human being.” (Pg 102)

“Aren’t you satisfied it is up with humanity? I am. We’re down; we’re beat.” (Pg 122)

“It’s the man that keeps on thinking comes through.” (Pg 123)

“Now whenever things are so that a lot of people feel they ought to be doing something, the weak, and those who go weak with a lot of complicated thinking, always make for a sort of do-nothing religion, very pious and superior, and submit to persecution and the will of the Lord.” (Pg 126)

“For neither do men live nor die in vain.” (Pg 136)

No comments:

Post a Comment