Saturday, February 11, 2012

Alice Walker

The Color Purple - Alice Walker


“It not nice to speak ill of the dead, one say, but the truth never can be ill.” (Pg 27)

“He strong in body but weak in will.” (Pg 35)

“Life don’t stop just cause you leave home.” (Pg 82)

“There’s no beginning or end to teaching and learning and working – it all runs together.” (Pg 125)

“Nobody feel better for killing nothing. They feel something is all.” (Pg 134)

“Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.” (Pg 152)

“Unbelief is a terrible thing. And so is the hurt we cause others unknowingly.” (Pg 169)

“Tell the truth, have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.” (Pg 176)

“When I found out I thought God was white, and a man, I lost interest.” (Pg 177)

“God love everything you love – and a mess of stuff you don’t. But more than anything else, God love admiration.”
“You saying God vain?”
“Naw, not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.”

“Why any woman give a shit what people think is a mystery to me.” (Pg 182)

“I just feel funny living in a square. If I was square, then I could take it better.” (Pg 189)

“There’s something in all of us that wants a medal for what we have done. That wants to be appreciated.” (Pg 210)

“Men look like frogs to me. No matter how you kiss ‘em, as far as I’m concern, frogs is what they stay.” (Pg 224)

“When it come to what folks do together with they bodies, he say, anybody’s guess is as good as mine. But when you talk bout love I don’t have to guess. I have love and I have been love. And I thank God he let me gain understanding enough to know love can’t be halted just cause some peoples moan and groan.” (Pg 237)

“I couldn’t understand why us have life at all if all it can do most times is make us feel bad.” (Pg 246)

“It didn’t take long to realize I didn’t hardly know nothing. And that if you ast yourself why you black or a man or a woman or a bush it don’t mean nothing if you don’t ast why you here, period.” (Pg 247)

No comments:

Post a Comment